Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Visit the Hot Shop


The Museum of Glass in Tacoma, Washington is one of my favorite places to visit. I became a big fan of glass blowing quite a few years ago, and was very excited when the museum opened.
I have seen some wonderful exhibits at MOG. Big solid slabs of glass that force the light to works its way through its mass only to cause a glow from within. Big massive sculptures made from thousands of tiny fragile pieces of glass that look as if they would break if I breathe to hard on them. I am now waiting with baited breath for the 2010 exhibit: Preston Singletary: Echoes, Fire, and Shadows. Glass work with a serious Native American bent. Beautiful.
My favorite part about visiting MOG is sitting in the hot shop and watching the team of glass blowers create whatever comes to mind. The teamwork is amazing. I always want to ask them if they have lost all fear of being burned. I could seriously watch all day...and I mean ALL DAY.
So, if your driving north or just want to take a day trip - consider MOG. You can hit MOG, Tacoma Art Museum, and Washington State History Museum all in the same area of town - Tacoma's Museum District. www.museumofglass.com

1 comment:

UrbanHippieMama said...

This sounds amazing, definitely only list for the next time I'm up there.