Monday, March 9, 2009

Little Tiny Pieces of Glass













Anna Skibska is a Polish artist who makes amazing large sculptures from little tiny pieces of glass. The last picture is from her show at the Museum of Glass in Tacoma. I remember standing in front of her sculptures, very tempted to touch, and thinking, "I can't believe someone hasn't broken one of these." My other thought was, "How in the world do they ship these to the museum without them breaking." Really - I'm still pondering this one.
They look like glass clouds to me.
On Vetri's website, a gallery in Seattle, I found this about her work: Marge Levy wrote of Anna Skibska, "In her hands, glass becomes line and form, strong and fragile, enormous and delicate. In her mind, the dualities of life are dignified and celebrated in sculptural forms - most of which are life size, confrontational, and connected to the human spirit through their scale and physical presence."
If you want to see more of her work , past and present...and the past work is nothing like the present, visit www.annaskibska.com